Friday, September 17, 2010

E) Technology! Is it a necessity or merely a trend?


I was greatly surprised to come across the research that reveals that students who frequently use calculators have better attitudes towards the subject of mathematics. (Ellington, 2003) This really caught my attention from the text, Chapter 7.

All these while, I have been relying on my mental abilities to do calculation. It is deemed as the most effective, way back then, to train my mental powers. Since young, I have had a vast of real life learning experiences, use of concrete materials to do counting, using the abacus and real coins. All these were possible because my grandparents owned a stationary shop. I must say that it was a wonderful experience!


Calculator, to me, is just another tool to aid counting. They are not as interesting and enticing as other educational computer games which have detailed graphics and elaborated sound effects. Not forgetting that if an error is made, we can simply laugh at our silliness or carelessness before attempting it again! I wonder how could a calculator helped to inject “better attitudes towards Mathematics”, when there is no interesting graphics or sound effects? Don’t they (calculators) simply contribute to a laid-back personality and seen as counter-productive tool? Pressing the required buttons accordingly will instantly give anyone the answers without breaking a sweat!

It’s amazing how this research has proven me wrong! Woah! It is definitely something new and exciting for me to learn.


Although I agreed with the part from the text which said that calculators could possibly be used as another add-on tool in the process of learning mathematics, but I still have my doubts about how a calculator can bring about drastic changes in a student’s progress, especially counting. Another point which I agree with the text is that it talks about how the student should be able to know when will be the appropriate time to use the calculator. In such a situation, the student should be able to rely on his estimation ability and tackle the problem sum, using the conventional way, ‘paper and pencil’.


Although, I am for the use of Technology, being introduced to students, I think that calculators could be used effectively to suit different kinds of students. The teacher should therefore exercise her discretion when introducing the tool. Having said that, I strongly believe that students should have a firm foundation in their basic understanding of Mathematics, before they attempt to use the calculator. It is important for our students to be able to grasp the basic Mathematics concept. What better ways to grasps these besides replying on our physical method of counting with our fingers and/or concrete material.



I LOVE THEM!! Yes! This was my reaction after having laid my hands at some of the recommended Mathematics websites. This is not something that I (someone who loathe Maths, in any form) would enjoy doing but I got HOOKED on them. I personally enjoyed the website called “The Math Forum” at http://mathforum.org. The website posed as a platform for discussions on topics pertaining to Mathematics concepts and there were a variety of links to other websites, providing more choices.



Upon completion of the chapter, I do not deny the fact that using of Technology has its pro and con. However, the calculator is more of an essential tool, rather than a ‘must-have’ tool in our daily lives.

"Technology is neither good nor bad, nor even neutral. Technology is one part of the complex of relationships that people form with each other and the world around them; it simply cannot be understood outside of that concept."
 ~Samuel Collins 






No comments:

Post a Comment